top of page
Search
  • EVYAR

The uniqueness and differences between 14, 18 and 9 karat gold.

I hear the term pure gold a lot, in the context of jewelry. In this article I will explain about gold

and answer the many questions that are asked about the level of purity in gold jewelry.

In the world of goldsmithing, the purity

and quality of gold play a vital role in determining the value and desire of a piece of jewelry. While gold is known for its timeless beauty and continuous seduction, it is important to understand the difference between different levels of gold purity. In this article, we will explore the differences between 14K gold, 18K gold, and 9K gold, shedding light on their composition, characteristics and historical significance.Karat, not to be confused with carat, is the unit of measurement used to denote the purity of gold. This refers to the proportion of pure gold content in a particular alloy. Pure gold, also known as 24k gold, is considered too soft for most jewelry applications. Therefore, it is mixed (alloy) with other metals to improve its strength and durability. Let's delve into the unique qualities of 14K, 18K and 9k


gold to understand their characteristics.

14K Gold: 14K gold is comprised of 58.3% pure gold, which is also expressed at 583 parts per thousand. The remaining 41.7% is composed of other metals, usually including copper, silver and zinc. This alloy blend provides additional strength and durability to gold while retaining much of its inherent beauty and value. 14k gold is known for its subtle yellow hue. It is a popular choice for everyday jewelry, balancing value, strength and beauty.


18K Gold: 18K gold is produced with a higher proportion of pure gold, containing 75% gold or 750 parts per thousand. The remaining 25% is made up of a mixture of other metals, which may include copper, silver, nickel and zinc. The higher gold content creates a richer, more vibrant color, and an increased sense of luxury and opulence. 18k gold jewelry is known for its slightly darker yellow (warm) beauty and exceptional durability, making it a preferred choice for inheritance items and fine jewelry. The higher gold content contributes to a higher price point, reflecting the increased intrinsic value of the precious metal.

9K Gold: 9K gold contains 37.5% pure gold or 375 parts per thousand, making it the lowest karatage commonly used for jewelry. The remaining 62.5% is made up of a mixture of other metals, including copper, silver and zinc. The lower gold content results in a cheaper price. 9K gold is valued for its durability and versatility, although it may not have the same wealth and prestige as higher carat weight, it still retains the beauty and value inherent in the precious metal.


Historically, variation in gold purity levels has been influenced by cultural and economic factors. Different regions and different time periods have witnessed varying preferences for gold alloys. In some cases, higher-carat gold was reserved for royalty and the upper strata of society, while lower-weight gold served the wider population with more accessible price points.

Summing up, the difference between 14, 18 and 9 karat gold lies in the proportion of pure gold and other metals present in the alloy, which affects its price and color.

0 views

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page